Cleaning and disinfecting your ROHO air cushion and cover are two different and equally important steps. Check your product manual to be sure you are following your specific cushion and cover cleaning directions. Keeping your cushion and cover clean will help your skin stay healthy as well as make your cushion and cover last longer. When you use something every day it is easy to ignore what kind of shape it is in or put off cleaning it for one more day. Whether you use your ROHO in an office chair or as your primary wheelchair cushion it is important to keep it clean. The steps to cleaning the cover and cushion can be difficult if you have mobility issues. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family, friends, or caregivers. You will enjoy your ROHO air cushion that much more when it is kept fresh and clean which is why it is always a good idea to have a back up ROHO just in case.
*Note - If there are stubborn or dried on stains, do not scrape them off while dry, soak the cushion cover and allow the water and mild detergent to penetrate the stain and then proceed with the rest of the steps.
Remove cover from cushion
- Remove optional hook fasteners if installed
- Machine wash gentle cycle with cold water and mild detergent or hand wash with mild detergent and warm water
- Tumble dry on low/no heat, or hang to dry
How to Disinfect Your ROHO Cushion Cover:
You may choose to not disinfect your ROHO cover every time you wash it, however, if your cover is soiled due to incontinence it should be disinfected after washing. This will help keep your skin healthy while also extending the life of your cover. It is always a good idea to wear gloves when cleaning with bleach.
- Machine wash on the gentle cycle in hot water with mild detergent or hand wash in warm water with a mixture of 9 parts water to 1 part bleach
- Rinse with fresh warm water
- Tumble dry on low/no heat, or hang to air dry
- Close the valve - do not allow water to get inside the cushion air cells
- Gently rinse and remove any debris caught between the cells
*Note - If there is anything dried to the cells or cells are stuck together, do not force the cells apart or try and scrape at the debris while dry. Immerse and allow to soak to loosen the debris without damaging your cushion.
- Before immersing your cushion in water check the valve to make sure it is closed Never let water or cleaning solution enter the cushion!
- Immerse your cushion in the water and use a mild dish soap to hand wash in-between and around each individual cell
- Use a soft brush, wash cloth, or sponge to gently scrub the entire cushion
- Rinse with fresh water
- Hang up on a towel bar or over the shower curtain rod to air dry. Do not place cushion in dryer
How to Disinfect Your ROHO Air Cushion:
- Before immersing your cushion in water check the valve to make sure it is closed. Never let water or cleaning solution enter the cushion
- Check to make sure the valve is closed and then immerse the cushion in a solution of 9 parts warm water and 1 part household bleach
- Gently scrub the cushion under the water and bleach solution with a sponge, soft bristle brush, or washcloth
- Keep cushion submerged for 10 minutes to fully disinfect the entire cushion
- Rinse completely with fresh water
- Hang to air dry, never put your ROHO cushion in the dryer