Covidien Foley Catheter Plug is used for occluding the drainage lumen on foley catheters. It prevents urine from coming out of the catheter tubing any time there is not a drainage bag or bottle attached. The plug also comes with a protective cap for sanitation purposes. The peel-back wrapping allows for "no-touch" application. This product is sterile and latex free.
Using Covidien Foley Catheter Plug
- Prepare the Foley catheter: Insert the Foley catheter into the patient's bladder using the appropriate medical procedure and sterile technique. Make sure the catheter is properly placed and secured.
- Locate the drainage lumen: Identify the larger lumen on the Foley catheter, which is used for urine drainage.
- Check the Covidien Foley Catheter Plug: Ensure that the plug is in its original, sterile packaging and inspect it for any signs of damage or defects.
- Remove the plug from its packaging: Take the Covidien Foley Catheter Plug out of its sterile packaging.
- Attach the plug to the drainage lumen: Gently insert the Covidien Foley Catheter Plug into the open end of the drainage lumen. Push it in until it is securely seated inside the lumen.
- Ensure proper sealing: Verify that the plug is correctly positioned and tightly sealed within the drainage lumen to prevent urine leakage.
- Remove the protective cap: If the plug comes with a protective cap, remove it from the plug. Avoid touching the exposed end of the plug to maintain its sterility.
- Secure the plug: Make sure the plug is firmly in place to prevent accidental dislodging.
- Attach a drainage bag or bottle: If the catheter is not already connected to a drainage bag or bottle, attach it now. The urine will now flow through the catheter and into the attached drainage system.
Remember, if you are not a medical professional or haven't been trained to handle Foley catheters, it is essential to seek guidance from a healthcare professional before attempting to use this product. Proper technique and sterile procedures are crucial to avoid complications and ensure the patient's safety.