Hydrophilic Intermittent Catheters
When it comes to intermittent catheters, the terms pre-lubricated, self-lubricated, and hydrophilic are used interchangeably. However, they are not exactly the same. Hydrophilic catheters are intermittent catheters that are packaged with a lubricated coating and a sterile saline solution. The sterile saline solution is in a pouch inside the packaging. The pouch of saline will need to be broken by the user. Once the sachet is broken, the saline solution interacts with the hydrophilic coating on the catheter and makes the catheter surface very slippery. This greatly reduces the amount of pressure you have to apply when inserting the catheter, making cathing easier and reduces any potential trauma to the urethra. We also carry hydrophilic catheters that do not require activation. The saline solution is already mixed within the catheter packaging. This eliminates one step of the cathing process. Please see our blog on the different types of hydrophilic catheters for more information.
Hydrophilic Coated Catheters
Pre-lubricated urinary catheters, also called self-lubricated catheters, are covered in a “no drip” sterile lubricating gel when you buy them. They are immediately ready for insertion after opening. You do not need to purchase a separate catheter lubricant. Pre-lubricated catheters are less messy than uncoated catheters, which require separate lubricant. Pre-lubricated catheters make it easy to cath away from home. You won't have to carry around as many catheter supplies and you don't have to worry about applying lubricant in a public restroom. Cure Medical is a popular brand of pre-lubricated catheters that are available in both straight tip and coude tip.
Uncoated catheters have no lubricant on them when you purchase them. They are very cost effective compared to hydrophilic or pre-lubricated catheters. When using a standard catheter, is common to apply lubricating jelly to the catheter before insertion. This will make cathing easy and you won't have to apply as much force to insert the catheter. Applying less pressure reduces your risk of causing urethral trauma. We offer catheter lubricant in tubes and individually-wrapped packets. The single use packets are especially convenient to use on-the-go. For more about the different types of catheters including straight, hydrophilic, closed-system, and coude catheters, read our catheter guide.
What are the Benefits of Using a Hydrophilic Catheter?
- Reduced Friction: Hydrophilic catheters have a specialized coating that reduces friction during insertion and withdrawal, resulting in a smoother and more comfortable catheterization process.
- Ease of Insertion: The hydrophilic coating allows the catheter to glide easily through the urethra without the need for additional lubrication, simplifying the insertion process and minimizing discomfort or irritation.
- Reduced Risk of Injury: The smooth surface of a hydrophilic catheter reduces the risk of urethral trauma or damage during insertion, particularly beneficial for individuals with sensitive or delicate urethral tissues.
- Convenience: Hydrophilic catheters are pre-lubricated and ready to use straight out of the packaging, eliminating the need for carrying separate lubricants or water for activation, making them convenient for travel or on-the-go use.
- Hygiene: Hydrophilic catheters are typically sterile, reducing the risk of infection or contamination. The packaging is designed to maintain the sterility of the catheter until it is ready for use, promoting a hygienic catheterization experience.
- User-Friendly: The smooth surface and ease of insertion make hydrophilic catheters user-friendly, especially for individuals who perform self-catheterization. They provide a more comfortable and efficient process, enhancing overall satisfaction and compliance with catheterization routines.
It's important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the most appropriate catheter type based on individual needs and medical requirements.
Order Hydrophillic Catheters Online
We offer a large collection of urology products online that can be easily ordered and shipped to your home. Conveniently order your hydrophilic catheters and accessories online now!