What is a urinary catheter?
A urinary catheter is a tube that is inserted into the urethra until it reaches the bladder to drain and/or collect urine.
What is an intermittent catheter?
An intermittent catheter is a urinary catheter that is inserted into the urethra and then once the bladder is drained it is immediately removed from the body and discarded.
Are all intermittent catheters the same?
No, there are many differences between intermittent catheters. The materials they are made of vary. Intermittent catheters can be latex, silicone, or red rubber. Intermittent catheters can come with a straight tip which is considered standard or they can be made with a bent tip which is called a "coude tip". The coude tip helps to go around obstructions such as an enlarged prostate. Intermittent catheters can also be made pre-lubricated which is called, hydrophillic.
What are Hydrophilic Intermittent Catheters?
Hydrophilic intermittent catheters are a tube that is coated with a special hydrophillic coating that is activated by coming in contact with a sterile solution. This means that you do not need a separate lubrication in order to insert the catheter into the urethra. They are ideal for travel or anytime ease of use is desired. Many companies make hydrophilic catheters but Coloplast and Hollister are making them not only pre-lubricated but they are making them compact. For everyone who uses catheters throughout the day every day this is a great step forward. Compact means they are more discreet as well as being easy to carry. No one wants to carry a giant bulky bag full of supplies. People want to be able to throw their catheters into their pocket and enjoy their day. Both Hollister Vapro and Coloplast SpeediCath have made incredible compact catheters, which do you prefer?
What are the benefits of Coloplast SpeediCath Compact?
- Compact design makes it easy to carry throughout your day no matter how active you are. The plastic tubing not only protects the catheter it also provides a perfect way to dispose of the used catheter discreetly.
- Telescopic design makes the catheter half the size of a standard male intermittent catheter. The catheter goes from 12FR to 18FR as it telescopes out.
- No extra steps needed for lubrication. The catheter is instantly ready to use because of the hydrophilic coating that covers the entire catheter as well as the polished eyelets. You can expect smooth insertion as well as smooth removal.
- The catheter can be inserted without having to touch the coated section which means hands stay clean and the catheter is not compromised.
What are the benefits to Hollister VaPro Plus Pocket?
- Compact design, even with an attached collection bag, this little pack is easy to carry. Inside the easy to open packet you will find everything you need to cath safely and easily.
- Available in 10Fr, 12Fr, 14Fr, and 16Fr, you choose the size you need.
- Protective tip helps the sterile catheter bypass the dangerous bacteria often found in the first few centimeters of the urethra which can help reduce the risk of urinary tract infections (UTI).
- Protective sleeve allows you to grip anywhere down the length of catheter without slipping or losing control of the catheter.
- Pre-lubricated hydrophilic coating means the catheter is ready as soon as you open the package with no extra steps needed for insertion.